Re: Falling pellets

Jim,

The viscosity of air has very little to do with the terminal velocity of a
lead pellet as large as 1 mm in diameter beyond determining that the
Reynold's number is very large for any appreciable speed. I calculate a
terminal velocity of 15 to 20 m/s based on equating the dynamic drag (1/2
C_drag rho A v^2) to the weight of the pellet. At this velocity the
Reynold's number is on the order of a thousand and the drag
coefficient is approximately 0.5.

John