Re: Calculators and Science / Math teaching

Joel,
I would think that you would have an advantage. In my physics
recitation classes, I usually (9 times out of time) beat my students in
drawing a function or doing a calculation to reasonable order. I think
that is because I have a better intuitive feel for what the answer
should be before the calculation is made or the function drawn or
explored. Unforunantely, we get a lot of students that will believe any
number or plot the computer or calculation gives them. I have seen
velocities above c and plots with positive slopes presented in a way
that the slope is negative (reversed order of x-axis). I will admit
that at one point I was like this until a professor taught me the lesson
to not only not believe any computer output but also not believe
everything he says.
Are we only teaching how to use these fancy new nuclear powered
calculators in our physics and math classes and not any of the physics
or math? Maybe but it probably depends on the teacher and the
situation. Actually, mostly on the student and whether or not they can
learn anything from the work you are doing. I see these TI-92 (??) -
you know the full computer - and wonder if that person will ever learn
what a derivative or integral really is? But then again, that can be
said of many students without these mini-supercomputers. Just my $0.02
and some.

Sam Held