Re: Inquiery based learning

David Emigh <emigh@COMMNET.EDU> writes:

Inquiry based learning is designed, I believe, to let kids explore
nature with a little guidance (actually very little if what I saw was
correct) and
come to their own conclusions (sort of). Does anyone know more on this
and
are you as appalled as I am? If not, what are the genuine strengths of
this
system (no edubabble please)?

Some teachers have had remarkable success with inquiry based learning.
Others, including myself, have had little, or no success at all. I have
found that "average" or "below average" students need step by step
guidance to get started and learn how to fill in the blanks. Above
average students will learn by inquiry regardless of whatever the teacher
does (or does not do).

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where good teachers keep their hands off and let only the super bright
students learn by inquiry)