radiometers (toy) as IR meter

Greetings,

I'm working on a lab/science-project the goal of which is, for common
transparent materials, to compare their %visible transmission with
their %infrared transmission . My department has a light meter well
suited for the visible part, but the infrared radiation is not so easy
to measure.
I've considered using a small insulated pan of water with coal dust
dissolved and measuring its temp.

I've also considered sealing a small styrofoam box, painted black on
the inside, and measuring the air temperature once equilibrium is in
effect.

Finally, I set up a radiometer--the toy type we often use in
class--and a strobe and found that the rpm of the spinning vanes is
indeed both easily measureable and is inversely proportional to the
number of layers of plexiglass between it and the infrared lamp. Has
anyone done this? Comments?

Any suggestions for an artificial source suitable for the project?

Any thoughts on any of these ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, LEon Leonardo