Re: Conserving Q ? /Faraday

At 11:11 11/26/98 +0100, Ludwik wrote:
... in case somebody does want to verify our data.

1) Material was Lexan....

2) Each measurement was made after 3 minutes at 1000 V. We discharge
the dissectable capacitor, remove the top aluminum block and bring
pieces to the electrometer on another table, one after another. The
first sample is in the Faraday cup after about 25 seconds, the second
10 to 15 seconds later. (The rate of loosing charge is very slow, neither
A nor B loose more than 5 % of Q in couple of minutes. Clean the
"cork" of your old electrometer very well to arrive to this)
Ludwik Kowalski

It would be interesting to know the plate dimensions.
And I recall, the phenomenon of charge recovery takes some time to
manifest itself. This effect has been responsible for some nasty shocks
(sometime AFTER shorting out a high-value capacitor). However, I seem
to recall the modern recovery anecdotes usually involve electrolytic
capacitors - so this is possibly a different effect.

One might consider a control series with increasing wait times after
polarization before testing the available charge.
From the little I recall on this effect, I'd expect a maximal recovery
after some optimal latency time: perhaps involving a balance between
leakage and acessibility.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK