Re: Conserving Q/Maxwell

As mentioned before, the Faraday effect (net Q in a dielectric material)
is probably only marginally related to the concept of the displacement
current. I want to learn more about this "mathematical current", and
about ways of making it meaningful in a non calculus course.

Jerome Epstein wrote:

This seems to me a whole lot of stuff about something that really isn't
very difficult.

The displacement "current" is nothing more than a time varying electric
field. It is called a "current", even though it doesn't involved moving
charges, because it generates a magnetic field exactly as does a "real"
current (that is, moving charges). In fact dE/dt just adds to the usual
current in Maxwell's equations.