Re: Y2K [was: Re: Gravity and pi]

At 02:48 PM 11/19/98 +1100, Brian McInnes wrote:
>Mervin Koehlinger wrote:
>

>>Every century has 100 years.
>

>>Check any dictionary on the subject.
>>

>We straying a little from physics here and our field of
>expertise but it is an interesting and useful subject and,
>dare I say it, something of a dilemma.
>A century is a collection of one hundred (consecutive)
>years.  Similarly a decade is a group of ten years.
>Starting from the year 1 A.D. we have a series of centuries
>called the First Century, the Second Century, ......the
>Nineteenth Century.  These Centuries start at the  beginning
>of the year 1 (or 101, or 202,....1901) and end at the end
>of year 100 (or200, or 300, ...0r 2000). That's all right
>and proper and those using the argument to claim that the
>present century (and, by extension, the present millennium)
>doesn't end until the end of 2001 are on strong ground.
>Yet....
>
>(1) When we refer to decades such as the sixties or the
>seventies, we mean from 1960 to 1969 and 1970 to 1979.  I
>don't hear people saying "At the end of the eights in 1990".
> Why do we use a different yard-stick here?
>
>(2) As far as the person in the street is concerned, the
>main argument above is pedantic and arcane.  He or she
>"knows" that the year 2000 is the start of a new century;
>that knowledge is reinforced by the point I raise in (1).
>This is much more immediate than thinking about the first
>century sarting in the year 1 A.D. rather than 0 A.D.
>
>It going to be interesting to see which set of
>new-century-and-millennium-celebrations are the more
>popular, those on Jan 1 2000 or those on Jan 1 2001.  I
>intend to celebrate both.
>Brian McInnes

I've read all the wonderful defenses for the new millennium start date of 2001.  Stephen Gould has been writing on this subject for several years.  Brian summed it up really well, but, very few people care about this.  They know that on January 1, 2000, they will start writing the year with a 2 in front and will regard this as a very big deal.  Hey for almost a thousand years you had to use a 1 and now you get to use a 2.  So the year 2000 is going to be celebrated whether knowledgeable people tell the proletariat about the monk and the deal with the year 1 or not.

I suspect that the average citizen regards those who raise arguments to  postpone the celebration of the millennium to the year 2001 as hopelessly disconnected from reality and too involved in musty, academic minutiae.

I'm going to be excited on 31 Jan 1999.  Actually I think 1999 is going to be neat  - the last of the one thousands.

Glenn
Physics Kahuna
Kahuna Physics Institute - on the flapping edge of physics research.