Re: Textbooks

Brian McInnes turned my "loud thinking" about Donald's
concerns (preserving best books) into a concise proposal (see
below). Thanks Brian. I see one place where a further
improvement may be needed. It has to do with the "once
every 50 years" suggestion. Who knows what the world is
going to to be like at the end of the next century?

Perhaps we should simply recognize present needs and
recommend a one-time initiative. By whom? Should it
really be AIP? And I have no idea how to answer Brian's
last question.

1) Subdivide physics textbooks according to subjects and levels.
2) Process each category once every 50 years in order to extract what is
the best, according to experienced teachers.
3) The books would be published, both on paper and electronically.
They would be preserved as important historic documents. It
would be a pity if these suggestions fell on stony ground. How do
we get them up and going?

Brian McInnes