RE: equations, acrobat, WP, other

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:owner-phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu]On Behalf Of Doug Craigen

- the files look great when printed, ...

Yes.

... but usually look horrible on screen.

Here I would collegially demur. The Acrobat reader has a zoom button, and I
can always find a magnification that makes the pdf file quite readable, even
great looking, though at the expense of being able to see a smaller part of
the page on my screen. pdf is vector graphics (though you can embed bitmaps
if you need to), so as you magnify it, it just looks bigger and better.

This is not to say I really like using the Acrobat reader. I find the human
interface kind of klutzy compared to HTML. But what other technology allows
you to convert output from *any* OS-compliant application to a highly
accurate reproduction that can be viewed and printed from all (or nearly
all?) major personal computer platforms?

Having said that, I would like to second the $0.02 of Sam Held by saying
that I go for HTML first and pdf only when HTML won't suffice, and that I
eagerly look forward to the new technologies that are now coming into view.

Best wishes -- David