Re: Hearing problem

We do a lot of work with the hearing impared. One of the things you must
keep in mind is that these students must divide their attention between the
board, the signer, the speaker and their notes. Do what you can to
minimize this division of attention. One of the things you can do is to
arrange for a note taker. Another student in the class who would be
willing to copy their notes for the hearing impared student. This way the
hearing impared student does not have to sweat to take everything down.
This does not mean that the hearing impared student is releaved of the
responsibility to take notes only that the hearing impared student has a
back up set of notes. Something missed by one student is caught by
another. We have even been able to arrange for a minimim wage payment for
note takers and thus can insist on some good quality notes. My biggest
problem was to remember to stay in one location when leading a class
discussion as I am a strider. This is especially important to lip readers
and most hearing impared students lip read to some extent. In connection
with this I had to be careful with mispronunciations and my all too
frequent mumble mouth. Get the student involved with a smaller group of
other students - lab groups - discussion groups etc. Help the student to
build an informal support group. Be especially attentive during labs for
safety considerations. I am assuming the signer is available during tests
for questions about the test. Ask the student what would help! I found
that what I had assumed would help/hinder was no big deal but some things I
had not considered are important (my moving around during discuccions,
facing the class etc).

Don Mathieson
Tulsa Community College
dmathies@tulsa.cc.ok.us

Can anyone give me any insite (off line is fine) to problems a hearing
impaired person might encounter in a physics class? I'm tring to help out a
student who is hearing impaired and struggling in an algebra based intro
physics. He has got a signer in class and a tutor; what else can I do?