Re: internet use, physics students

I have posted a largish amount of reference material, including
syllabus, study tips, homework hints (before assignment due), answers
(just before assignment is due), and a few solutions (after assignment
due). I have links to other reference material, although I need to
expand those, and with nonscience majors I have required submission of
assignments by EMail. In that class I have also written and posted
lecture notes. The students love having the notes. The down side to
class notes is that class attendance drops 15% or so.

However, the most effective thing I have done to persuade students to
use the web without complaining is to post my old exams on a web page
and *nowhere else.* A few students no doubt just get printouts from
other students, but their friends get tired of that and tell them to go
get the exams themselves.

You can find notes for three of my courses by starting from the url in
my sig. We have excellent computing facilities, so I do not have to
worry about students having fair access to the web.

Leon Leonardo wrote:

I'm a community college physics instructor interested in familiarizing
my students with the WWW. Any suggestions for exercises/web-based
activities I may assign to either my conceptual-physics students, or
my engineering majors, that seemed to work well in this regard?

Thanks, Leon