Re: internet use, physics students

I've just started using the Web with my high school physics students. Last
summer I created our physics web site. (See last line of my signature for
the URL). I have referred my students to this site for instructions on how
to write a lab report. That worked, particularly the bit about how to
write a procedure. Many of my students are quite familiar with the web and
enjoy doing assignments this way. About 25% of them have submitted homework
to me by email. Will the enthusiasm continue? We shall see.

The next assignment, involving determination of their individual reaction
times by using web sites has already been posted (see my Assignments page).
These will be used in class discussion about how far a car (traveling at
some speed) will move during their reaction time. I also have written an
exercise (not yet posted) which will have the students calculate whether or
not a yellow light is properly timed for the width of a particular
intersection and local speed limit.

I have gathered links to reference materials and to some sites which have
experiments in the form of JAVA applets which I plan to use either with all
students, or for "extra-credit" assignments. You will find these on my
LINKS page. There may be (probably are) better links out there, but these
are the ones I have seen. If you find better ones, let me know.

Caution: Not all browsers can interpret JAVA, so you need to have
alternative activities. (See my Assignments page for an example).

Good luck.

Regards,
Br. Robert W. Harris
Catholic Memorial High School