Re: CAR RADIO

David Abineri wrote:

Thanks for all your help, Dick.

I have always taught that the reason a car radio fades in and out when
one moves
just a few meters (or less) is that the signal is reflecting off a
building (or
other refelctive object) nearby and arriving out of phase with the
original signal
at the antenna.

However, with all the available objects for a signal to reflect from
before
arriving at my antenna, this explanation does not seem correct.

Can anyone illuminate this phenomenon?

The normal spread in intensity over the region of one wavelength is
around 15 dB. This is precisely because of "all the available objects
for a signal to reflect off of". This is referred to as "multipath"
interference. ("Shadowing" effects are distinct, but also contribute.)
Look at it this way, each reflected signal arrives in a different
direction with a different phase at each spot. Over a region of a few
wavelengths in length and width a complex standing wave pattern will
occur. For a large number of similar magnitude sine waves arriving at a
spot, the statistical intensity distribution is a Rayleigh one. The
bottom is arbitrarily close to zero - perfect destructive interference
between all rays, and the maximum is N^2*I_average corresponding to them
all being in phase. The 15 dB spread corresponds, if I recall
correctly, to 2/3 of the cases.

Doug Craigen "Technology with purpose"
http://www.dctech.com