Re: Smiley Faces!

Why is this thread called "Smiley Faces"?

Rick's dilema takes me back to a point I have made before to this
audience. Today's physics is encumbered with too many "early English"
words that have changed meaning since they were first used, words
such as "normal" and "moment", and others.

And too many instructors (and authors) don't differentiate
between words like "rotation" and "revolution", or "constant" and
"uniform", among others.

And why do we insist on using F for all other forces but f for a
frictional force? And why do we call the force causing centripetal
acceleration a Centripetal Force, as if it were in addition to all
the other forces acting on the moving object? And why do we call
any object a "body", which makes most students think of a human body?

Ours is indeed a strange field.

Poj