RE: supplementary S.I. units

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Donald E. Simanek wrote:

A lot of introductory stuff with which I completely concur and then
challenged my statement,

All equations in physics are tyrannical with respect to
dimensional consistency. With only a few exceptions, however,
they are completely neutral about units. ANY units carrying
appropriate dimensions are perfectly acceptable. For instance, in
the equation

Neutral about units? You mean all that effort physicsts have put in to
devise *coherent* unit *systems* has been in vain?

Not at all. I simply meant what I went on to illustrate in the example
from constant acceleration kinematics.

Consider this equation
from a highway engineering book:

d = 67.39 - 0.33

Here d represents the distance in feet at which a road sign is generally
legible to an automobile driver, h is the height of the lettering in
inches.

Side point: Is this *really* used? Nobody really thinks that 3 inch
lettering is visible (let alone legible) at 58 miles, do they? And I can
certainly read quarter inch lettering from farther away than two and a
half feet.

The equation could be made to work for any choice of units by rewriting it

ch
d = K - d

where K, c, and d are constants. Each choice of units would require a
different set of values for the constants. Do we want to deal with this
sort of thing?!

Whether or not we want to deal with it is not relevant to the point.
Furthermore, I could quibble and point out that this is not an equation
from physics. But that is also beside the point; I *still* disagree. I
prefer to distinguish between saying that two quantities have different
units and saying that they have different values. The value of the speed
of light in a vacuum is the same regardless of the units used to express
it. Despite the fact that 1 is not 12, 1 foot *is* 12 inches, etc.

Similarly, in the equation you cite I can specify that K *is*
67.39 ft^(inch/h), c *is* 1 inch^(-1), and the d on the right side of the
equation *is* 0.33 ft. In the SI system these *same* values could be
*expressed* as K = 67.39 x (0.3048 m)^(0.0254 m/h), c = 39.37 m^(-1), and
the d on the right side of the equation = 0.101 m. Admittedly all of this
is awkward (even "ugly" if you like, although some perverse side of me
kind of enjoys these things) precisely because the value of K in this not
very "physical" equation actually depends on the value of h--i.e., K isn't
really a constant.

BTW, what you'd really want to do, of course, is write the equation as
something like

ch
distance = a(K - d)

in which case all of the "constants" really are *constants* and
necessarily take on the values a = 1 ft = 0.101 m, K = 67.39, c = 1
in^(-1) = 39.37 m^(-1), and d = 0.33.

Given the above, I'll go out on a limb and speculate that the relationship
can't possibly reflect reality outside of a *very* restricted range (which
is likely describable by a far simpler relationship) precisely because of
the fact that two of the constants take on surprisingly simple values
*only* in the British system of units.

To avoid such ugliness, physicists devised coherent unit systems, such as
cgs, MKS, English, etc. If you keep everything within one such system, you
don't have to deal with variable constants in equations.

Because of the problems noted above, I try strictly to avoid "variable
constants." ;-)

F = ma works in
any coherent system, so long as you express each quantity only in the
designated units appropriate for that system.

I would say F = ma works in any system of units--coherent or not--so long
as you don't make the mistake of *omitting* the units. Starting with a
coherent set of units eliminates the need for unit conversions down the
line, but the equation "works" in any event. This is the message I try to
stress to my students when they repeatedly approach me in lab with
problems that stem precisely from this mistake.

I'd be interested to see John's method for dealing with the steradian, the
standard (natural) measure of solid angle.

I confess that I haven't I haven't given it much thought, but the issue
wouldn't be what to do about the steradian; it would be how do we
consistently treat solid angle as a dimensioned quantity. I really don't
want to push this one, but I suspect that it could go much the same way as
I have done for plane angle and would involve the concept of "tangential
area per unit solid angle" rather than "radius squared."

I notice John's discussion of radian introduced the unit "cycle". What is
its precise definition, please? Put the definition in words, or an
equation. Not so simple, is it? John seems to be using "cycle" as a
"unit". Is it also dimensionless? What is gained by throwing out one
dimensionless unit and introducing another, even more problematic?

Of course in my "preferred" system all angular quantities have both
dimensions (of angle) and units. But I guess I must be missing your point
about defining the "cycle." What's wrong with "that angle which brings us
back to the starting point"? Or, if you don't like that, why can't I just
define it as 2 pi radians?

When I taught the introductory course, I gave students a checklist of info
about dimensions and units. All of it is obvious, but surprisingly, many
students don't notice these things.
2. Terms which are added or subtracted must have the same dimensions and
the same units.

I think I know what you mean by this, but I hesitate to say that one
cannot add 1 inch to 1 foot.

3. Quantities on either side of the equal sign must have the same
dimensions and the same units.

Does this mean that it is not proper to write "1 inch = 2.54 centimeters"
or "1 m = 100 cm"?

And finally, lest it be forgotten in all of the above, I'll reiterate that
I do not advocate straying from accepted pedagogy regarding the radian (or
steradian.)

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223