RE: supplementary S.I. units

At 03:24 PM 9/22/98 -0600, you wrote:
Is not the radian defined as a ratio of arc length to radius, and as such
all
unit cancel !!??
Oren Quist, SDSU

I think the "dimensionless unit" is one of the points of this discussion.
When everything cancels out, the student is left with a "unitless"
answer-and thus some confusion arises as to the unit of the answer (ie, the
answer may be in "radians").

Some of my students "wonder" about this after I have pushed and pushed
about the use of "unit analysis" to facillitate the solutions of problems.

Thus, the idea of a "radian" as a base unit intrigues me as a possible tool
to use in helping the student to grasp what is going on.

I admit that I don't delve into the scientific implications of using a
radian as a base unit. My real interest is in helping students understand a
little bit more about our world. Most of the students I have have in
physics never have taken chemistry or physics in high school nor, for that
fact, taken more than two years of math (usually have Alg 1 and Geometry).
We do have a pre requisite of College Algebra to take physics, but if I
insisted on this, I would have no students at all. Around here we have
problems having students take physics in high school much less in a
community college.

I shall think about this some more and I appreciate all the discussion on
this board.
Joe Baughman e-mail: joebau@blueridge.cc.nc.us
Science & Mathematics Instructor
Blue Ridge Community College Telephone: (704)692-3572 x301
College Drive Fax: (704)692-2441
Flat Rock, NC 28731-9624

Web Server: http://www.blueridge.cc.nc.us/