Re: air blowing out of an old mine

With all due respect to the excellent deduction, induction and analogizing
that have been displayed pursuant to this thread, let me say that I think
that congratulations on a correct solution to this puzzle are premature.

The previously mentioned Quincy Mine in northern Michigan is very similar
to the Nevada mine described in the original posting: miles of tunnels,
head end of the main shaft is at the highest elevation (at the top of a
big ol' hill), substantial cool airflow always coming *out* the head end.
Now let's throw in one more factor for people to think about: the Quincy
was originally excavated to a depth of over 10,000 feet but the lower 9000
feet are now completely flooded with water.

Any takers on this new piece of evidence?

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright
Physics, Physical Science, Internet Teacher
Charlotte High School, 378 State Street, Charlotte MI 48813
<physics@scnc.cps.k12.mi.us> or <science@scnc..cps.k12.mi.us>

(who attended Michigan College of Mining and Technology,
today called Michigan Technological University,
located just down the hill from Quincy Mine)

X-From mccallum@unm.edu Fri Sep 18 16:41:14 1998

Near my brother's house in Tonopah, NV, is an entrance to an old mine from
which a strong stream of air exits. I tried to tell him that it must blow
out in the daytime and in at night as the mine "breathes" due to
temperature fluctuations. But the fact is it blows out all the time! He
says there are miles of interconnected tunnels and his opening is probably
at highest elevation. What's the explanation?
Crawford

X-From dbone@scnc.bas.k12.mi.us Fri Sep 18 16:41:45 1998

The Quincy mine at Hancock in Michigan's copper country has a grated
opening (one of many) at the surface out of which a flow of cool air
moves. This air flows day and night, year round ( or at least it has
everytime that I have been there) The air coming out is about 50 degrees
( educated guess ) but the old timers say that the temperature at the
bottom of the mine ( it is extremely deep) is almost too hot for comfort.
Maybe the hot air from the bottom cools as it rises and expands but that
doesn't explain why it would blow straight up into the 90 degree air of a
hot summer day. This is just an observation that I have made for which I
have no definitive explaination

Dave Bone "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend
Inside of a dog it is too dark to read"-Groucho

X-From mccallum@unm.edu Fri Sep 18 16:45:30 1998