Re: Didactics and Akademe

At 08:53 9/16/98 -0600, you wrote:

I certainly can't see the forces the fingers exert....
The situation of this demo is far too complicated for me to get a concept
out of it.

-- Donald

It seems to me that we *never* "see" the forces. We never measure them
directly in any other way either....

If we run students through several iterations (jr hi, HS, intro college,
upper div undergrad) of a process which fails to make this distinction,
then is it any surprise that grad students show little tendency to be
independent of authority or canon? Should the findings of Tobias' report
"They're not dumb..." be any surprise?
Dewey I. Dykstra, Jr.

I thought I caught in this, a moment of Professor Dykstra's insight.
One must be driven towards an ideal of student capability that can
perfectly decorate one's own understanding; yet on the other hand one
demands that the very best can discard and distain one's hardest won
academic values.

Brian
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK