Re: Sparks

THIS WAS POSTED EARLIER BUT WAS APPARENTLY LOST.

Yes, the breaking d.o.p. ("voltage"), for a given configuration of
electrodes, is lower in partial vacuum than in very good vacuum
or at a much higher pressure. But the term "better conductor"
usually refers to steady currents at d.o.p. which are very much
less than what is needed to produce a spark. In other words, I am
referring to conditions under which Ohm's law is applicable
while Brian is referring to "sparking conditions" under which
the value of resistivity depends on the electric field.

That is why I was "a little surprised that dry air is a better conductor

than the vacuum". Cosmic rays produce free charges in the air but not
in the vacuum. Less pressure --> less free charges per unit volume.

Ludwik Kowalski
Brian wrote:
I mentioned the severely practical illustration that in WWII it was
soon
found that waveguides for radar transmission - at that time almost all

transmitters were magnetrons - which worked perfectly well on the
ground
and at modest altitudes, began to break down at 20,000 ft plus, where
the
the waveguides.

In Dr Bowman's splendid analysis which this casual observation
provoked,
it was explained that the mean free path length of a charged particle
was
crucial to the conductivity of the medium - so that when the vacuum
becomes
really hard, the resistivity of the path rises again.