From: Bob Sciamanda <trebor@velocity.net>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Friday, September 04, 1998 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: Sparks

Hi Ed,
Yes, I agree with your intuition . . . The proximity of a conductor
(doorknob) changes the field configuration.
Before, the finger electrons may have been repelling each other somewhat
"equally" in all directions; now the forces are somewhat more
concentrated toward the induced positive charges on the doorknob
surface.

(Consider how the field of an isolated charge changes as it is
approached
by a conductor . . . the size and shape [and is it grounded?] of the
conductor are pertinent factors affecting the details of effect.)

Hope it's helpful.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)
trebor@velocity.net