Re: Galileo painting

Mathieu,
I was preparing a lecture just after I read your note and there in
my text (Serway's Physics for scientists and Engineers) was the painting you
describe (on page 36). Its caption reads that the painting by Giuseppe
Bezzouli is in the Zooligical Museum in Florence, not the IMSS. This museum
is accros the river from the IMSS and is best noted for its collection of
wax models of bugs - If I am remembering it correctly. You might try them
for a print. Or Serway references "Art Resource" as his source.
I have never been a big fan of the "romantic" pictures of Galileo
with him brooding as in this one or staring off into space like an Italian
saint. I was suprised to learn that many of them were done in the century
after his death.
I hope this helps.
Gary

In Florence, the IMSS gives a small picture of a wall painting (fresca) of
Galileo demonstrating the inclined plane. Does anyone have an higher
resolution image ?

Gary Karshner

St. Mary's University
San Antonio, Texas