RE: Raskin's Coanda effect article

Hi all_
Marlyn Jakub writes, in very relevant part-
Bill,
On 13DEC95, I wrote a criticism of this article for Phys-L readers. Again, I
would strongly urge readers of Raskin's logic to add lots of salt before
believing any of Raskin's claims.
******************
Good on you, Marlyn. And all you guys who claim to have discovered how the
rest of the world was mistaken for the past century or so- there is a very heavy
burden upon you.
The classic ancient text on the subject of 2-dimensional aerodynamics
is Glauert's Airfoil and Airscrew Theory. The mathematics is just the math of
potential theory, which most of you learned in Electrodynamic theory, coupled
with Bernoulli's equation. It works fine for long airfoils in subsonic flight, as
attested by a few decades of wind tunnel data (from the old NACA, as well as
engineering student labs).
A simple-minded argument is that if two streamlines pass through lines
of equal potential in front of and behind an airfoil, then the fluid traveling
on the longer streamline has moved faster. The faster-moving fluid is accompanied
by lower pressure, and the pressure drop gets measured by gauges on the surface
of the wing in the wind tunnel. Results of such wind-tunnel tests were published
in oodles of NACA publications over the decades.
Regards,
Jack
A former aeronautical engineer

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography