Re: PHYS-L Needs New Owner and New Home!!

William Beaty wrote:

If a volunteer moderator could be located, the phys-l list could be set up
here at eskimo.com. From their current price list:

Telnet shell Account: $60/yr
Smartlist list: $60/yr
50meg storage $60/yr
-------
$180/yr

I have several lists on eskimo currently (but can't possibly handle more!)
Once long ago I looked for other providers, and found prices like $100 a
month for just the list service. Of course, a zero-price service on an
academic system would beat even Eskimo's prices.

What level of traffic do they permit? Various ISPs I'm familiar with
start charging extra at 100-500 Meg of traffic per month. At 600 users
multiplied by 40 messages per day, multiplied by 1 kByte per message, I
get 24 Meg per day roughly, or 720 Meg per month. These are very
ballpark figures which could easily rack up much higher in some months
leading to various surcharges - hence my ballpark earlier estimate of
$2000 annually for a typical ISP. If it does come down to using a paid
service perhaps Dick has records to show more precisely what traffic
levels are typical of different months. My point was mainly that these
services are not free - whichever site might volunteer to host PHYS-L in
the future is in effect giving us a donation of this general order of
magnitude.