Re: Science Lab Staff

I think Bill has quite nicely identified the problem here, and that is the
difference in the settings between a university and a TYC (two-year
college, for those of you who don't know the jargon!). This reminds me of
a similar situation that we have run into. We work extensively with our
K-12 colleagues to improve science education in schools. The teachers who
attend our workshops often indicate the difference between the treatment
they receive from us versus the treatment they receive at the universities.
Invariably, they talk about the fact that we treat them with respect for
their professionalism and that the university folks often "talk down" at
them.

Now, before you university folks get all offended, let me quickly say that
obviously this is not generally the case with most folks out there. Just
as I believe that even most university faculty have a decent attitude
toward their lab director colleagues. In my experience, there are usually
only a few rotten people that give everybody else a bad name.

Bill is also correct in pointing out that there are several models out
there for how things are done and any generalization without considering
all of the circumstances would be grossly unfair. Let's do get together at
Lincoln and try to enhance our understanding of each other's circumstances
and issues.

Best regards,

Alex