RE: Science Lab Staff

Alex,
>Two final comments. Paul: I envy your situation with the
full-time staff
>that you described! I thought most community colleges were in
the same
>boat as we are. I guess not!

I believe your initial assessment is correct. You may be in a
better class/boat/caste system than most TYC faculty. Many have no
assistant at all, and many aren't compensated for the extra "load"
which comes with prep-ing labs/lectures etc.

Alex: I am not personally offended. And, yes, I do see your dilemma.
However, I am dismayed that faculty continue to be oblivious to their
"attitude posture" when staffing (what should be) professional staff
positions.

You are also correct in your attitude towards assistants and
their input. As starved as most of us TYC faculty are for help and
assistance I find it hard to believe many have an attitude posture
toward these valuable colleagues. This "attitude posture" issue sounds
like an issue peculiar to the university setting.

Judging from Karl's comments there is a secondary posture issue
which is rearing its head. The issue, namely that all physics
students/instructors/assistants are following similar, if not identical
models. And even a third, that because of the "unique" setting TYC
faculty work in we (and our administrations) subscribe to a philosophy
that inherently lacks respect for our assistants. And further that we
treat them in an unprofessional manner (whether they are unionized or
not). Something I believe most TYC faculty would view as false. So why
apologize because our needs, situations, and budgets, are very
different from a research university, or for the fact the some
university people are oblivious to this fact?

I too look forward to seeing you all in Lincoln. Perhaps each
group can mutually attend each others cracker barrels.

Bill Waggoner
Physics Instructor
Metropolitan Community College
Omaha NE