Conservation of Energy and Cosmology

Merlin, You may want to try to plough through the question "Is Energy
Conserved in GR?" in the Relativity FAQ:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/energy_gr.html

In a more general vein, let me add to the list of recommended books: "The
Evolution of Physics" by Einstein and Infeld. This classic (1938) has
been out of print for some time, but a new paperback printing, reasonably
priced, is again available - I saw it at Barnes & Noble.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)
trebor@velocity.net
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor