Re: Dissident science.

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, A. R. Marlow wrote:

Did I miss something? Our email facility was down for a while on Saturday
and Sunday last. I haven't seen any rebuttal of "desparaging comments
made about the Sir Arthur C. Clarke article," and would appreciate it if
someone could repost such a rebuttal if it occurred.

Ooops, confusion. The "rebuttal" was actually the major part of that
message, starting with "It's not the internet that's the problem", but the
attribution is unclear. It is from an earlier private message of mine
which merlin8@email.msn.com forwarded to the list (he did obtain my
permission.)

Also, I'm still
anxiously awaiting addresses where I can order the energy producing
equipment with the "money back guarantee" that Clarke referred to.

I'll forward the earlier message about "CF devices for sale".

Rather than get into long arguments here, I recommend that everyone read
the excellent pro/con summary of "cold fusion" on the SciAm website:

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert/physics/physics6.html

Michael J. Schaffer presents the case for the "pro" side, while
Douglas R.O. Morrison presents the "con" side. Something for everyone.

Note that Dr. Schaffer's employer refused to be identified. I think
that's silly, but is the norm for this controversy. Since CF is
unpopular, nobody wants to be smeared by association. If it was a
popularity contest, there would be no problem with this. But since it is
not, and since unpopularity and fear of ridicule or of tarnished
reputations is such a big deal, it severely interferes with those who
simply want to calmly discuss the issue.

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb