Re: Distance Learning (and phys-L2 ?)

Next Spring, I will be taking a DL course in Observational Astronomy.
Students will be able to access a remote control telescope, and use a CCD
camera to make exposures. We will then use software to process the images.

Harald Schenk
Sheboygan, WI\

This is certainly a great feature that astronomers have developed. It has
been around for several years and works just as well on "local" classes as
it does with DL classes. It is something that wil make a DL class better
than not having it, but it is just another classroom feature that, like
several others mentioned here, also work in a DL setting. I would not
include this as an argument either for or against DL.

DL offers an advantage when it does things that traditional classes cannot
do, such as include students who physically cannot be where the teacher is.
When this is the case, then including features like the remote telescope
control can turn what would otherwise be a marginal educational experience
into an excellent one.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto://hhaskell@mindspring.com>