Re: The HTML Experiment

Leigh,
Yes, PDF format is becoming more popular but the physics community
still lives and dies by the huge postscript file. I have problems viewing
these files through Acrobat Exchange. I actually save them to disk and
then use Ghostview. I have tried Eudora but don't like it so much. I am
thinking to moving to Netscape Mail because that is what many of my
collaborators use. In fact, they love to send attachments that are Excel,
Project, or some other Microsft program file and Netscape seems to handle
them very well (if you also have that software).
Netscape mail may also be the way to go now that the Math Markup
Language is due out shortly (I can provide an URL to those interested).
That will enable a set standard for equations to be posted to web pages or
sent with html mails. Hopefully it will also eliminate all those damn
gifs when one uses latex2html. (However, you can get around that by using
a different conversion program.) It will also hopefully eliminate the
clumsy (if you don't know it) Latex as editor of choice also for most of
the journals.
Well that is my $0.02, so enough babbling.

Sam Held

sheld@utk.edu