Re: POLARIZATION

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, brian whatcott wrote:

The *rms* amplitude (i.e., the only one that "really matters") of
a transverse wave is always sqrt(2) times larger than that of its
two equal amplitude component waves whether the wave is linear and
the components helical or vice-versa. This is a simple
mathematical result and it (reassuringly) agrees with the dictum
of conservation of energy since the intensity of a wave is
proportional to the mean square amplitude.

John

It is certainly not difficult to frame an elementary rebuttal to
this curious post.
If John admits the possibility of superposing waves of linear
polarization, then let him consider two waves of equal amplitude
(rms or any other measure!) which are pi radians different in phase
but otherwise identical.
The simple result is cancellation.
(Or at least this is my conclusion. Would John say it is in error?)

It's easy to "rebut" an argument by constructing strawmen. A second
reading of my post, however, will surely reveal that I was referring to
two cases and two cases only:

1 A linearly polarized wave constructed from two equal magnitude
circularly polarized ("helical") waves

2 A circularly polarized wave constructed from two equal magnitude
linearly polarized waves

I suppose I might have bolstered my argument and better anticipated
brian's response by mumbling something about the nice properties of
orthogonal basis elements. Nevertheless, a linearly polarized wave of
zero amplitude may be constructed from two (opposity parity) circularly
polarized waves of equal amplitude if and only if those amplitudes are
zero as well. The same holds for constructing zero amplitude circularly
polarized waves from two (orthogonal) linearly polarized waves.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223