Re: Ice cream scoops

I was skeptical of a fluid freezing and thawing because I think this would
burst the spoon. Ludwik's post seems to confirm my suspision. I think the
liquid remains liquid and just helps transfer heat or energy through the
spoon.
I think this is the same idea as sodium filled valves on high performance
engines. Convection + conduction is better than conduction alone.

Far better. I think water would work, and there would likely be
no freezing rupture problem since the cavity need not be filled
with water. 10% ullage should suffice to prevent that problem.

Do I understand correctly that it is *body heat* that ultimately
keeps the scoop above sticking temperature? The operator never
needs to dip the scoop in water to warm it up?

I can't locate the necessary information quickly, but I did look
at IBM's patent server keying on "ice cream scoop" and found of
2,295,843 patents issued, 26 of which are of some interest. They
include a circulating fluid heated scoop* (with external fluid
connections), battery heated scoops, etcadnaus! One has no idea
how much raw manpower has been expended in the quest - no, the
*crusade* - for a better ice cream scoop until one looks into
the archives of the US Patents, in this case only back to 1971.
I found many patents refenced before that date but, alas, they
were not accessible to the lazy surfer.

By way of contrast I tried keying on "mousetrap" and came up
with 63 hits. I guess there are still lots of unimaginative folk
out there slavishly pursuing the traditional grails.

I think the invention we are seeking must predate 1971.

Leigh

* http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?patent_number=3809520