Einstein on education

I just finished reading the 1936 speech (in Albany, NY) of A. Einstei=
n=20
=D3On Education=D3 Some sentences are worth quoting; I hope you find =
them=20
interesting. Einstein emphasizes that he speaks =D2as a partial layma=
n in=20
the realm of pedagogy=D3 expressing =D2the personal opinion of a man,=
founded upon nothing but his own personal experience, ...gathered as=
=20
a student and as a teacher.=D3
Ludwik Kowalski

---------------------------------------------------------------------=
--
=2E.. =D2To me the worst thing seems to be for a school principally t=
o work=20

=2E.. =D2The most important motive for work in the school and in life=
is the=20
pleasure in work, pleasure in its result, and the knowledge of the va=
lue=20
of the result to the community. In the awakening and strengthening of=
=20
these psychological forces in the young man, I see the most important=
=20
task given by the school. Such a psychological foundation alone leads=
=20
to a joyous desire for the highest possession of man, knowledge and
artist-like work.

=2E.. the teacher should be given extensive liberty in the selection =
of the=20
material to be taught and the methods of teaching employed by him. ..=
..=20
But I have said nothing yet about the choice of subjects of instructi=
on,=20
nor about the methods of teaching. Should language predominate or=
=20
technical education in science? ... in my opinion all this is of seco=
ndary=20
importance. ...=20

On the other hand, I want to oppose the idea that the school has to=
=20
teach directly that special knowledge and those accomplishments which=
one=20
has to use later in life. The demands of life are much too manifold t=
o=20
let such a specialized training in school appear possible.=D3 ...

Albert Einstein