Re: A sad good bye to this interesting list server!

John: I have harbored a strong interest in medical physics since first
teaching the pre-med course back in 1975. I will keep your references in
my "museum" file, as that public sector is my second calling, and a place
where understanding of the connections with physics is sorely needed.

Best wishes to you on your "second retirement" from physics. Here's to
another 76 years of being too busy for all of the things on your plate.
Cheers, Karl

Dear Colleagues,
I used to be a physics teacher. I have been a member of the AAPT
and several of its Wisconsin section for about 3 decades. My primary
interest is physics applied to medicine, an area not well represented in
the discussions on this list (for obvious reasons). At 76 and after 12
years of retirement I find I have too many things to do! In leaving the
list I hope not to leave this world. If any of you have a question
involving physics applications in medicine feel free to contact me by
e-mail (jrcamero@facstaff.wisc.edu).

Here are three items that may be of interest to some list members:
1. The workshop on medical instrumentation at the University of
Wisconsin-Madison June 8-10 still has openings. The web page is
http://www.medphysics.wisc.edu/workshop98/index.html You can also send an
e-mail message to Prof. Larry DeWerd (ladewerd@facstaff.wisc.edu), the
organizer of the workshop or Prof. Jim Zagzebski (JIMZAG@MACC.WISC.EDU),
who is in charge of the program and who will be the lead editor on the text
book which we expect to result from the workshop. This text is to replace
the missing half of the old text Medical Physics by Cameron & Skofronick
published by Wiley in 1978 and long out of print. The new text will be
published by Medical Physics Publishing (http://www.medicalphysics.org) or
mpp@medicalphysics.org. MPP is the publisher of Physics of the Body by
Cameron, Skofronick and Grant (1992) the other half of the old Medical
Physics text.

2. Some of you may be interested in a Frequently Asked Questions in
medical physics web page which was started recently by George Sherouse, the
founder in 1985 of the medical physics list server. You can go there to
leave a question of to look at the answers to some FAQ. You will find it
at: http://www.mindspring.com/~sherouse/MPFAQ.html

3. I have a number of unpublished (i.e., rejected) articles dealing with
radiation available by e-mail if you send a request to
jrcamero@facstaff.wisc.edu. The titles of two of them are:

Explaining Radiation to Patients (Aimed at radiologists but physicists
should have no difficulty!)
Some thoughts on the current radiation protection paradigm. (Aimed at
health physicists.)

I've enjoyed your list and learned a bit. Feel free to contact me if you
ever need a free talk for your AAPT Section meeting on Is Radiation As
Dangerous As They Say? or The case for beneficial radiation (radiation
hormesis. (radon does reduce lung cancer caused by smoking!.)

Best wishes, John Cameron

John R. Cameron, winter home: 2678 SW 14th Dr., Gainesville, FL 32608
phones : 352/371-9865; Fax 352/371-9866 About May 15, 1998 we go to our
summer home: 2571 Porter Rd., P.O. Box 405, Lone Rock, WI 53556-0405
Phones: 608/583-2160; Fax: 608/583-2269 e-mail all year:
jrcamero@facstaff.wisc.edu

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk Phone: (512) 471-4152
Physics Dept, Mail Stop C-1600 Demo Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin Home Phone: (512) 264-1616
Austin, Texas 78712-1081