Re: magnetic north and south

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of em and is only at a
high school level and I may be missing something far deeper. Please
correct anything in error here. With that said, isn't this discussion
of North and South somewhat ridiculous? Aren't these names merely
artifacts of geography? It seems to me that with the failure of all
efforts to identify a magnetic monopole switching the names on the
poles would have no effect on the underlying laws. Like magnetic
poles repel, opposite magnetic poles attract. Changing magnetic
fields create current, while changing current creates a magnetic
field. Even the most technical and abstracted description of north
and south I've read on this thread relies on the assumption that field
lines point from north to south. To the best of my knowledge also an
artifact of human arbitration rather than universal law or deduction
from observation.

Zach