Opposites.

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Chuck Britton wrote:

Paula Abduhl has it right, it's a natural fact that opposites attract.

I have no idea who Paula Abduhl is, but a metaphor like this has only one
use in physics, as an exercise for students to demonstrate how absurd and
useless such metaphors are. Ask them to give examples of opposites which
do not attract. It will force them to think clearly about whether
"opposite" is a natural distinction, or just a label we apply to things
for our own convenience.

Examples which come to mind: Up and down are said to be opposites.
Attraction? Black and white? Complementary colors? Full and empty? Right
and left? There is no a-priori physical meaning of "oppositness" which
leads to the necessary conclusion that opposites attract, unless we
*define* oppositness to be exclusively the property of things which
attract. But then, what about things which "attract" (have forces directed
toward each other), but which no clear statement of oppositeness can be
made. Two identical charged particles traveling along parallel lines.
Attract or repel? Two oppositely charged particles traveling in opposite
directions along parallel paths? Whoops, which kind of "oppositeness"
rules?

-- Donald