Re: Science Fair

At 09:27 4/23/98 -0400, you wrote:

My experience as judge and coordinator of judges was at the high school
level fairs.

But I was gentle in my criticism of how these fairs are in actual
practice. I could have said more, much more. Let's see how many negative
things I can list about science fairs.

1) Too many judges go for glitz and complexity, and weigh slick
presentation too highly.

2) Too many projects show no originality at all, but are clearly gotten
from books of "Winning Science Fair Projects" readily available, while
other projects are entirely original, but fare badly with judges who don't
know (or care about) the difference.

3) Students with well-off parents with college degrees, and those with
parents who are in a profession, benefit greatly from parental help.
Students from poor families, or incomplete families, are at a
disadvantage. Some parents spend time, buy materials, obtain books, and
supply key ideas. Other students don't have that advantage. Of course,
this is true with all aspects of the school experience. This may be
unavoidable, but it is unfair. Sure, I know, *life* is unfair. I felt this
particular unfairness in school keenly when I was a student (having farmer
parents, neither of whom had completed high school, only one supportive of
education).

Dr. Donald E. Simanek

Professor Simanek honors us with a commentary that draws something
from his well-spring of life experience and glints with a
feature of the people who do great work in Science - they squeeze the
most out of the least, and they attack along an undefended avenue.
I am most glad to have read this piece - the honesty is apalling.

Whatcott Altus OK