From: Jim Green <JMGreen@sisna.com>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Friday, April 17, 1998 9:54 PM
Subject: Zip

Folks, are there those on the list who have experienced the Iomega,
Zip-Drive Click-of-Death???

What have you done about it?

Hi:

I had an internal Zip drive die the way Jim describes. No matter what
disk I inserted it would click repeatedly and then give an error message.
However, since the drive was mistakenly installed by Gateway (I hadn't
ordered it, they didn't bill me for it, and didn't ask me to return it when
I notified them)I thought it would be too much gall to call Gateway or
Iomega and demand a new product.

However, since by that time I had found the Zip drives invaluable fior
carrying data between home and school, I purchased a parallel port drive. I
have had some clicking here (but with Maxwell Zip disks, not with disks
under the Iomega name itself), but the drive itself still works. Sometimes
when the clicking occurs I get files with strange names that cannot be
deleted.

I also recently received a letter from a Delaware law firm saying that
they were settling a class action law suit involving Iomega support. At one
point Iomega advertising promised free support, but people were actually
being charged around $14 per incident.

Ed