Re: Intuition -Reply

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA wrote:

Learning by experience, Instinct and Intution are supposed to be
different things. Are we not mixing them up in this discussion?

I remember reading an article that says that intuition is a matter of
pattern recognition:

Our experience results in certain neural patterns in the brain. When faced
with a problem, the new patterns are compared with our stored patterns
(though not consciously) and when a "match" is found (again, not
consciously and not necessarily a perfect match) our flash of intuition,
our bright idea is formulated. This is different from the
sequential/logical conscious thought process that may be taken to come up
with a solution.

I think that what we usually associate with "learning and solving by
experience" is the conscious thought process of comparing the present
situation with past experiences.

Darwin
University of the Philippines