Re: Recommended undergraduate quantum mechanics book?

I liked the Griffiths book a lot when I first looked at it, because
it's so concise and well-written. So when I taught the course a
couple of years ago, I used this book. Unfortunately, most of my
students were not ready for it. For them it moves too quickly,
leaving too many steps for the reader to fill it. It is also
very mathematical, with little discussion, especially in the early
chapters, about intuition or experiments. I tried to supplement the
book with some explanation of where the Schrodinger equation comes
from, and also some treatment of qualitative and numerical solutions
to the one-dimensional time-independent Schrodinger equation. These
days you can do a lot with computers (I use Mathematica), yet Griffiths
hardly acknowledges this and rarely encourages students to use a
computer. The most awkward part of the book is Chapter 3, where he
gives you a very thorough course in linear algebra but never tells
you what most of it is good for: he introduces the Hilbert space
of square-integrable functions of a single variable, and thus puts
one-dimensional quantum mechanics on a pretty firm foundation, but
never tells you how to generalize the Hilbert space idea to more
complicated systems. So in Chapter 4, his generalizations to 3-d
systems and to spin seem to come from nowhere (and he acts like is
these generalizations should be obvious to the reader). Oh, one
more thing: he provides no review of complex numbers, so my students
needed to be told how to complex-conjugate a complicated formula,
for example.

Having said all this, I would still use the book again. I've never
seen another at the undergrad level that is so well written. There
are countless difficult technical points that Griffiths explains
very very clearly where other books just muddle things. Just be
prepared to expand considerably on what's in the text, and perhaps
to skip those parts of chapter 3 that aren't really needed.

Dan Schroeder
dschroeder@cc.weber.edu