Re: Electrical Pendulum Drive (was Re: moon's synchronism)

-----Original Message-----
From: brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Friday, March 20, 1998 8:01 PM
Subject: Electrical Pendulum Drive (was Re: moon's synchronism)

I found David's exposition exhilarating - as I often do.
I note my regrettable tendency to pick on microscopic
blots in erudite academic pieces and so, despite the finer part
of my nature I cannot resist remarking that a 60 Hz solenoid is
found to be a viable (and delightfully simple) method of driving
a Foucault's pendulum of period approaching 10 seconds. (*)

Whatcott Altus

Brian,
I can't get to the references you quoted, but are you sure the "60 Hz
solenoid" is actually exerting a 60 Hz force on the pendulum? Pardon my
disbelief (or lack of understanding), but please verify.

-Bob

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics trebor@velocity.net
Edinboro Univ of PA http://www.edinboro.edu/~sciamanda/home.html