Re: Doppler question

Leigh--Could you direct me to those sources? I have also heard both
versions of this story, and would like to know more.

I'm sorry, I can't. I did no thear the story about the statement
he made in Japan until some years after his death, when no one
could check. I understand he cited no other works in his paper
"On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" (in the German) though
one might guess he knew about the work of Poincar=E9 and Lorentz
already. He did mention that only the relative motion of the
magnet and the coil was relevant to the outcome of the
experiment, but somehow I doubt that it was his original
observation. I would guess that if Faraday or Henry did not
notice it, then someone else did long before Einstein was born.

Perhaps there is an Einstein scholar around, or at least someone
who has read some biographies. What does Pais have to say?

Leigh