Re: lawless physics (fwd)

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Richard W. Tarara wrote:

I really don't understand your statement below. No matter how fast I
travel, I can't get to any other star system before my current 'NOW'. Say I
can travel at 10 times the speed of light as measured from earth and I head
off for a star system 10 light-years away. I can't get there before St.
Pat's Day 1999 (earth time), and assuming I could transmit a video signal
back to earth (via 'subspace' at the same speed) it couldn't arrive before
3/17/2000. How do pull off the 'time travel' scenario implied below?

Rick,

Perhaps the implications of my statement, "one person's 'faster
than light' is another person's 'backward in time'," are not yet
clear to you.

If someone on Earth determines that you are traveling at 10 c,
someone else--moving in some very reasonable manner with a speed
less than c wrt to Earth--will determine that you are traveling
backward in time. (Please consult the Lorentz transformation for
details.) Now, if you can travel backward in time relative to one
observer, then, by the principle of relativity, you can do so
relative to *any* observer. So I am simply suggesting that you do
so. *Why* would you limit yourself to 10 c when you can just as
easily travel backward in time?

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223