Re: "Proper" scientific notation

NO! I can't even imagine asking the students in my algebra/trig class to
use that notation.

It seems that part of the problem we have discussing this using email is
that some of us don't have (or don't use) email work processing that let's
us put in our email message the way we want the students to write the
answer on paper.

is the way Cut/Paste from a Word Perfect file (in which I typed the 3 as a
superscript) shows up in this message. I've been assuming in these
communications that ^ is the writer's way of showing that the proper
notation was written with a superscripted number (the number following the ^).

Lynn

Would you acccept the engineering notation 2.3^\3 ie the \3 is a superscript
and the \ means "times ten to the"?

Jim Green
JMGreen@sisna.com

Lynn K. Aldrich Phone: 717-674-6376