Re: "Proper" scientific notation

*************************
Jennifer M. Seckinger
Evansville, IN 47712
jmssk8@juno.com
*************************
Jim --

Would you acccept the engineering notation 2.3^\3 ie the \3 is a
superscript and the \ means "times ten to the"?

I'm not familiar with that notation. I don't believe I've ever seen it.
I doubt that I'd accept that notation from high school students. Is this
a widespread/accepted practice in the engineering community? If so, and
if I were teaching at the college level, I would *maybe* consider
accepting it.

--Jennifer

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]