Re: "Proper" scientific notation

One thing I also see is students who will key in scientific notation
incorrectly: Using your example, instead of entering "2e3" (=2000) I've
seen them enter "2x10e3" (=20000)

My students also think 10e3 is the same as 10^3; they do this all the time.
They also think sin^(-1) is the same as ArcSin of a number. Since they
only rarely invert the sine function (except possibly for critical angle
calculations in Total Internal Reflection) in my course.

I think all we can do is teach the difference explicitly; the calculators have
all standardized on misleading terminology and we have to cope with the
fallout.

Dan M (yes, I'm updating the index this week)

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac/homepage.html