Re: "Proper" scientific notation

At 01:16 PM 3/8/98 +0000, David Simmons wrote:

Graphing calculators give answers in scientific notation like:
2.5E3
meaning:
2.5 x 10^3 or 2500.

Not only the calculators, but also spreadsheets.

More and more of my students are beginning to express answers in this
format on tests and homework. Should I allow them to do this? My gut
feeling is no. One student I recently asked thought that his answer of
2E3 was equal to 8 instead of 2000!

One thing I also see is students who will key in scientific notation
incorrectly: Using your example, instead of entering "2e3" (=2000) I've
seen them enter "2x10e3" (=20000)

By insisting on having students convert to "standard" notation am I
being prudent or old fashioned?

Prudent - it's one of my "hot-button" issues, too. However, I fear that
we shall drown in the tide of bad notation. It's a little like fighting
Microsoft.

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * "Quantum Mechanics: *
P.O. Box 5005 * *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * the dreams stuff is made of." *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * - Steven Wright *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html