Re: Unknown Nobel Candidate

At 10:13 3/4/98 +0500, you wrote:
I am a high school senior doing a senior speech(graduation
requirement) on research ethics. I was told a story once about an
interesting episode in scientific ethics.
This man was close to being awarded the Nobel Prize in
Physiology(Medicine) for some sort of discovery. However, when the
voting comittee found that his test data come from human testing
conducted by Nazi scientists in concentration camps, he was taken out
of consideration for the Prize. This event occurred within the last
10-15 years. Could you tell me his name and anyplace on the internet
I could go for further information. Any help would be GREATLY
appreciated,
Thank you
-Jacob Zasada

I do recall a discussion in the scientific press within the last 25 years
of some research work that was based in part on Nazi experimentation of a
kind that would not easily come to hand in a
normal society.

Unfortunately, that's as much as I recall. I did try a search on the
conjunction of keywords that might be expected to throw up a reference -
Nazi research Nobel medicine - but to no avail.

It most likely figured in New Scientist - a staple of my reading for many
years.

Whatcott Altus OK