Re: Reality

It is astonishingly easy to lecture to our students for years on end,
have them solve many pen and paper problems from the back of the
chapter, and still leave them utterly ignorant of what the phenomena
mean in the real world which these equations are supposed to describe.
Hence, the lightbulb phenomenon.
J. Epstein

We can do this instead of lecturing (or alongside lecturing even) in
the nontraditional courses like Chabay & Sherwood; Law's Workshop
Physics; CalTech/MIT's ZAP! etc. We can and should do a lot to remedy
this missing critical phenomenological experience even at the expense
of lecturing. If our student nonmajors don't have this experience before
our courses and don't get it in our courses then WE GRADUATE THEM WITHOUT
IT. How many of us graduate students who can't describe how a light bulb
works or how a current-carrying coil experiences torque in a magnetic
field but can solve series and parallel resistor problems and perhaps
even Kirchhoff's law problems?

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac/homepage.html