Re: new fifth force

It is also worth noting that another group, also containing some
significant members and also studying distant supernovae using the
Hubble, gets results consistent with no cosmological constant. You
can fidn out a *little* bit more about them at:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?1998Natur%2E391%2E%2E%
2E51P&db_key=AST&high=33613e8e5809859&nosetcookie=1

http://oposite.stsci.edu/pubinfo/pr/1998/AAS_winter-sn/pr.html

If I had to guess about whether these guys got their sign wrong
*or* the universe is decelerating under gravity, I might get
romantic and get excited, too. If I had to bet more than two
bits on it, however, I'd go the other way. More data are needed
before the conventional picture, an expanding decelerating
universe, is abandoned. Determining the deceleration parameter
was a principle mission for Hubble; there will be more data in
a relatively short time.

Leigh

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227