Re: What to teach (was: American students do poorly)

Dr. Hake wrote:
poorly), Tim Burgess writes:
=20
=93Our struggle is not with ill prepared students. The struggle is with =
system that does not recognize the need for widespread science and math
fluency....=94
=20
I agree with the second sentence but not with the first. Over the course

I disagree with myself. To quick to quip correctly? The first sentence is=
=20
the result of the second. To treat the first sentence is to treat a=20
symptom. I recognize that treating a symptom is better than no treatment=
=20
at all. (We all do struggle with the symptoms). The long term solution is=
=20
to focus on the cause.

Thanks for the additional data. I do not have ready access to the web pages=
..
I certainly credit the researchers who took the care to isolate and compare
as is indicated in your post.=20

It is informative that when controlled for coursework exposure the US
students were not "out of the ball park." I appreciate the posting and